Saturday, 28 January 2012
I'm not a parent, but I know plenty of moms and dads, and I've seen how hard it can be to provide quick, healthy meals for children. Children are picky eaters to begin with, but throw a few vegetables on their plate and they're almost immediately turned off.
Well, RealAge.com has come up with a short list of healthy, fast-food bites that your kids will love. Let's say these meals are "kid tested, mother approved."
6. Panera: Kids Roast Beef Sandwich on whole grain bread (no cheese), fresh apple, reduced-fat milk
Calories: 450 (45 from sat fat); sodium: 650 mg.; healthy stuff: whole grains, fruit, calcium
5. McDonald's: Plain hamburger, apple dippers (without the caramel sauce), low-fat milk
Calories: 385 (45 from sat fat); sodium: 645 mg ; healthy stuff: fruit, calcium
4. Sonic: Corn dog, apple slices, low-fat milk
Calories: 355 (45 from sat fat); sodium: 660 mg ; healthy stuff: fruit, calcium
3. KFC: Grilled chicken drumstick, corn on the cob, unsweetened tea, string cheese
Calories: 270 (23 from sat fat); sodium: 545 mg ; healthy stuff: vegetables, calcium
2. Burger King: Kids macaroni and cheese, apple fries (skip the caramel sauce), fat-free milk
Calories: 285 (14 from sat fat); sodium: 490 mg; healthy stuff: calcium, fruit
And the ultimate, kid-friendly fast-food?
1. Subway: Roast Beef Kids Meal; the sandwich (hold the cheese) on whole-wheat bread; apple slices; 100% juice
Calories: 335 (9 from sat fat); sodium: 515; healthy stuff: whole grains, fruit, calcium
What do you think, parents? Do these meals sound healthy enough to you? What fast-food items do you allow your kids to eat?