Thursday, 23 February 2012
This is a guest post from Julie!
While the cost of your health insurance may not be going down anytime soon, you can save money and feel better by taking the appropriate steps toward improving your heath. This doesn't always mean making huge changes to your routine and lifestyle.
It's not hard to use simple and effective methods to improve your health, which can translate into fewer costly trips to the hospital.
Here are 8 tips compiled by leading experts in the wellness and medical fields!
1. Brisk Walks Everyday: Simply walking for 30 minutes every day has plenty of health advantages. Get out and explore your neighborhood or head to a nearby park. Walking at a moderately intense level improves heart health and strengthens your bones.
2. Eat Fresh Fruit: Fresh fruit is a source of antioxidants and helps protect your body from any number of afflictions. Researchers have found that fruit can help your body prevent cancer, Alzheimer's disease, heart problems and muscle degeneration. Berries are particularly beneficial, as are prunes, oranges and cherries.
3. Make High-Fiber Foods Part of Your Diet: Foods high in fiber will help you ward of bad cholesterol. Eat plenty of vegetables, whole grain, beans and fruit to maintain a healthy level of fiber. This small dietary change can increase your energy and make you feel much better. Also, consider replacing one meat entree every week with a vegetarian option. This will increase your fiber intake and reduce the amount of red meat in your diet, a smart move for good heart health.
4. Improve Your Outlook: Simply being more optimistic may help you live a longer, more productive life. Remember to be thankful for all the things you are lucky enough to experience in your life, even the bad stuff. It's important that you are always willing to learn and let your experiences become opportunities to grow as a person. Volunteering is a great way to become more involved and active in your community. It also fosters a sense of meaning and fulfillment.
5. Give Yoga a Shot: Yoga and Tai Chi are great exercises for your body and mental sense of well being. These exercises can be done in the comfort of your own home and provide, strength training, flexibility, balance and aerobics. Yoga helps you sleep better, reduce stress, lower blood pressure and improve your overall mood. If you don't have time to fit yoga into your schedule, make sure you are stretching and building strength regularly. In addition to your new routine, try working in some time for meditation and relaxation. You'll be ready to go to sleep with a relaxed body and clear mind.
6. Consider Adopting a Pet: Research shows that animals have a very positive impact on our lives our health and well being. Pets are used to treat depression, heart attack victims and are frequent visitors to children's hospitals. Plus, having a dog to walk regularly can improve your health dramatically, thanks to the added exercise. Also, it's been reported that Dog owners are less likely to suffer from obesity.
7. Work on Your Relationships: Work on maintaining healthy relationships with your friends and family. Sometimes, this means reconnecting with people you've had a falling out with. Forgiveness and reaching out will have a positive impact on your health and sense of well-being. Even if you haven't been involved in a quarrel, make a conscious effort to spend more time with your friends and family.
8. Drink More Water: Replacing one drink a day with water can make you feel better and improve your health. Sugary sodas lead to obesity and a number of other afflictions. If you don't like the drinking water, go for a 50-50 combination of water and juice. This is a healthier option than a soft drink or sports beverage.
What are other tips you can offer that contribute to healthier living? Do you practice any of these 8 tips above?