Sunday, 18 March 2012
This is a REALLY easy recipe! I always encourage my friends to use organic whenever possible, but I do understand it's a little difficult at times so if you can omit with organic, go for it!
- 1 cup AP flour (All Purpose)
- 1/2 cup sweetened butter OR Earth Balance Butter
- 1/2 cup vanilla infused sugar (add a vanilla pod to a container of sugar for a few days)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract (try using the really good stuff. The popular stuff contains corn syrup, which I try to avoid as much as possible)
- 1 Tablespoon dried lavender (French lavender)
- 1 Tablespoon of lemon zest (If you can't find Meyer lemons, no worries)
- Combine and cream butter, sugar, lemon zest, vanilla and lavender. Add in your flour last.
- At 350 cook until the sides are golden. I use muffin tins, but you can use the small ones, ceramic pie holders, etc. Just make sure your sides are golden.
- Shortbread takes longer to cook than cookies or cupcakes. So start out at 20 minutes unless you are using mini muffin tins, then start out at 10-12.
Have you ever made a vegan shortbread before? Do you have a favorite vegan recipe?