I've been eating brown rice for a while now since my dad can't eat white rice anymore.
When brown rice gets converted to white rice, it loses 67% of the vitamin B3, 80% of the vitamin B1, 90% of the vitamin B6, 60% of the iron, and all of the dietary fiber and essential fatty acids!
But there are so many more health benefits in eating brown rice over white rice:
- Brown rice helps prevent colon cancer
- You can lose weight: People are 49% less likely to gain weight when they eat whole grains instead of refined grains
- The oil in brown rice lowers cholesterol
- Brown rice contains selenium, which is important for thyroid hormone metabolism, antioxidant systems and immune function
- Lowers type 2 diabetes risk
- Helps prevent breast cancer
- It can be good for stomach ulcers
So which is more important - the health benefits in your food, or the taste of it? Do you eat healthier versions of your favorite foods even if they may not taste as good?